The Homewood Theatre was opened in 1924 for S. G. Lebedoff, and sat about 1,200. It originally housed a Wurlitzer organ and a live orchestra accompanied the opening film, “The Woman on the Jury”. When Finkelstein & Ruben acquired the Homewood Theatre in the late-1920’s, they thoroughly remodeled it at a cost of around $25,000, turning the auditorium’s decor Atmospheric, with arched “windows” on the side walls, each with its own view of the “courtyards” painted within. The Homewood Theatre began showing sound films in 1928.
In 1953, the theater closed, and was thereafter used as a furniture auction house. After almost a decade, new owners purcashed the old theater and attempted to bring it back to life with a mix of movies and live stage acts, with Peter Nero appearing on opening night. However, this venture was not successful, and the theater closed within the year. It has since been torn down.
Homewood Theater on West Plymouth, Minneapolis. (ca. 1925)
Har Mar Theater 2100 North Snelling Ave. Roseville, Minnesota 55113